Ellerbe Calls Bullshit on Canelo Sparring Stories

Mofo2

According to a BoxingScene.com report from Rene Umanzor last week, Saul Alvarez’s manager Eddy “Chepo†Reynoso is claiming that his man has been doing tremendous damage to his sparring partners in advance of his Sept. 14 clash with Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas.

Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Eric Gomez had the following to say after speaking with Chepo about Canelo’s camp in Big Bear, Calif.

“He told me [Canelo] already knocked off four sparring partners. We’ve already changed eight or nine people and just [sent] him another from Philadelphia. I’ve never seen him like this. One of the sparring partners broke a rib, two other were injured, one of them injured a shoulder and another was knocked out.â€

The reaction from Mayweather’s camp upon hearing the reports has been that of near bemusement.

Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe, in particular, seemed puzzled by all of the talk.

“It’s a joke,†Ellerbe would tell me recently. "That’s exactly what I thought; it’s a joke. It’s like ‘Who are you fooling?’ He’s an excellent younger fighter. He’s earned the right to fight Floyd. He brings a lot to the sport, but when it comes to trying to run game on the public, come on now. You’ve got to cut that bull out. Cut that crap out.

For Ellerbe, talk is cheap concerning a fight of this magnitude.

“At the end of the day, everyone knows that you haven’t sent eight or nine sparring partners home and if you did, who are they?†Ellerbe asked. “And at the end of the day, nobody cares. It’s not about what say. It’s not about what Floyd’s father says. It’s not about what Roger says. It’s not about what Nate says. Aint about what his team says. At the end of the day, he’s got to deal with Floyd on Sept. 14.â€

• Members

Ellerbe is such a doofus and a jackass. Never liked him, plus he seems to have a sickly obsession with Floyd. Does he jerk off to Floyd's videos, I wonder.:stir

This is similar to the hype talk from Max Kellerman about GGG being feared by heavyweight for sparring. And even if there is any truth to it who are these sparring partners? and what style of boxing are they offering Alvarez? are they technical boxers who are hard to hit, or are they fighters that prefer to stay in the pocket and trade?

Josh if that was to occur most would look at it the same way as you, but I highly doubt this fight will be scratched due to 2 lbs most likely scenario in that case will be Alvarez forking over some major cash, And if I was Floyd I would request smaller gloves.

This is pro boxing at the highest level , and itust really suck to hate Floyd and sit there watching school these boxers, the pain must be great :?

Actually it was Alvarez that requested the fight and threw a big hissy fit wnen Floyd did not want to fight him "remember" Alvarez Trout was going to be on the Mayweather Guerrero card but Alvarez copped an attitude and refused to fight on the card.

As for boring, some call it technical boxing you know where as the boxer puts great emphasis on hitting the opponent while avoiding being hit? Yeah I know its shunned upon now of these days because most want to see 2 guys stand toe to toe and inflict brain damages to themselves for the audience's pleasure. I believe MMA provides such activity for those that are interested in that sort of combat :nice

Yes I am sitting here typing that I want to see Floyd/Canelo more than Matthyse/Garcia, because it has more interest to me but I will be watching both with great interest.