Schaefer Wants Gonzalez-Russell Jr Next If No Mares

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

Jhonny Gonzalez pulled off one of the bigger upsets of the year as he took out Abner Mares in just one round as he recaptured a world title at Featherweight and resurrected his career in the process. While most fans are still buzzing about the shocking victory, there are already talks of who Jhonny Gonzalez will fight next.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer revealed that there is indeed a rematch clause and Golden Boy holds three option fights on Gonzalez as well. If an immediate rematch doesn’t take place with Mares and Gonzalez, Schaefer told BoxingScene and Mark Ortega he already has the perfect opponent in mind.

“Oh yeah, I have the perfect opponent; a big fight. Gary Russell Jr. He’s ready, he’s ready. Gary Russell Jr is ready. Gary Russell wants a big fight and that’s a big fight. I would love to make that fight†said Schaefer.

Russell was recently on BoxingScene Radio where he said he felt Mares did not possess the skills to beat him and that he was ready to fight for a title. While the opportunity may not necessarily come against Mares now, Gonzalez is there and it’s a fight Schaefer will try to make before the end of the year if possible. There are plenty of options for Golden Boy to explore.

“Maybe November or December. We’ll see when Jhonny wants to fight. We’ll talk to his promoter. As I said we have three controlling options so that is definitely a fight we would love to do but if Abner comes and says let’s go straight back to the rematch then we’ll do that. So we’ll have to see but we have Leo [santa Cruz] there as well so there are some interesting possibilities†Schaefer would say.

Gonzalez expressed he is ready and willing to take on anyone next and with Golden Boy controlling his next few bouts, he won’t have much of a choice.

with all the talk of santa Cruz / Mares I thought Leo was at featherweight , not super bantam .

guess Russell gets Jhonny next :tdown

• Members

with all the talk of santa Cruz / Mares I thought Leo was at featherweight , not super bantam .

guess Russell gets Jhonny next :tdown

Why is that bad? I think its a good matchup. Russell's speed vs Jhonny's power. Plus Gary can hit too. Those matches can't be boring!

Meh, just feel like Russell should be made to fight a top 10 guy first before awarding him a title shot, the guy just feels entitled for what ever his reasons