Sergey Kovalev: Nathan Cleverly offered absolutely nothing

Mofo2

JUST under three weeks ago on Saturday August 17, Sergey Kovalev marched into the Motorpoint Arena in Nathan Cleverly’s Cardiff backyard and squashed the Welshman inside four rounds to become the new WBO light-heavyweight champion. With his dominant victory on enemy territory, the Florida-based Russian announced himself loud and clear to the mainstream boxing public and the 12st 7lbs division.

“Of course, I was very happy to win the fight,†Kovalev declared. “Ever since I turned professional, it’s been my dream to become a world champion. I had to travel to the UK and fight Cleverly in his own backyard to win the title, but it didn’t bother me at all. I just prepared for a good performance and made sure I brought the title home.

“Cleverly is absolutely nothing special. From the very first round I knew that the fight wouldn’t be going the full distance. He didn’t offer much of a threat. His fans were loud and hostile, but the fact that everybody was against me just motivated me more. After the fight, I think I won over most of the fans with my performance.â€

Following Kovalev’s eye-catching victory over Cleverly, the “Krusher†has been talked up as a future opponent for IBF light-heavy ruler Bernard Hopkins. However, with a frightening 20 of his 22 wins coming by way of stoppage or knockout, the 30-year-old Eastern European may well find that he has a shortage of challengers willing to take him on.

“If fighters are scared and try to avoid me because of my power, I don’t think they should be involved in the sport of boxing,†Kovalev opined. “I’m ready for whoever my manager and promoter puts in front of me. It’s up to them to decide who I should defend my title against. I’m just focusing on becoming the undisputed champion of the world.†