British Boxing learns legend Dean Powell is dead

Mofo2

Deanpowell368.jpg

Ringnews24 today was saddened to learn that British boxing legend Dean Powell has passed away. 

Highly regarded Dean Powell enjoyed a successful career in boxing over the past 25 years. He worked as a manager, matchmaker and could be seen on our TV screens regularly working as a cornerman. Dean worked with names such as Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Nigel Benn, Nathan Cleverly, Emanuel Steward and Ricky Burns.

http://ringnews24.com/index.php/component/k2/item/26-ringnews24-copyright-notice

Some legend...the servant of bloody Frank Warren! :angry2 But may he rest in peace anyway...

He worked the corners and not the negotiations, its a sad loss to british boxing, he was one of the most recognisable faces in the sport over here:

how old was he? ho did he die? the link did not work for me

The Englishman 47 enjoyed a successful and varied career in the sport over the past 25 years, working with such names as Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Nigel Benn and Emanuel Steward. His most recent role was as a matchmaker for Frank Warren Promotions.

"All of us are deeply saddened and shocked by the loss of our very close friend and colleague, Dean Powell," read a statement from Warren. "Dean was a valued and popular member of our team and within the sport of boxing.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones for their tragic loss."

Simon Block, former British Boxing Board secretary, said on Tuesday night: "The world of boxing will be shocked and saddened to learn of the death today of Matchmaker Dean Powell in circumstances that at this moment I am struggling to comprehend." Dean was one of the world's best matchmakers and had an international reputation, having worked with some of the greats of the last 20 years or so including Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Naseem Hamed and more than I can bring to mind right now."

"I have known him since he first started work with the late Gary Davison back in the '80s and we spoke almost every week, sometimes every day." "I have lost a friend and colleague, Frank Warren and his organisation have lost a key and crucial figure, the world of boxing has lost one of its foremost movers and I cannot begin to imagine the loss to his longtime partner Lisa to whom I send my deepest and most sincere condolences. He will never be forgotten."

There was not much Powell had not done or seen in and around British boxing for the last quarter of a century - matchmaker, cornerman, trainer, confidant.

The 47-year-old had been the glue binding so many fight nights and undercards in the UK since the late Eighties. He had seen triumph and tragedy and treated them all with his calm, collected mind. He dealt with all matters with a simple grace, with his lilting Midlands accent. He was forever flicking open his cell phone. Powell became Warren's main matchmaker – following in the footsteps of the deeply knowledgeable Ernie Fossey who passed away aged 73 in 2003 - but had periods with Frank Maloney,

Terry Lawless, Micky Duff and Mike Barrett. Dean moved to London from Dudley in the late 1980s, taking up resident in the Thomas A Beckett, one of the most famous gyms in the country.

“I've had the great fortune to have worked in two of the most famous gyms in British boxing – the Thomas A Beckett and The Royal Oak in Canning Town,†he had told me. Both, sadly, are gone. And Powell with them. When he arrived in the Thomas A Beckett, it was replete with significant fighters: Duke McKenzie, Gary Stretch, Lloyd Honeyghan, Errol Christie, Chris Eubank. The Royal Oak saw a new breed coming through: Mark Tibbs, Jason Rowlands, Derek Angle, while Mark Kaylor was coming towards the tail end of his career.

“They were great days. I've learnt from Jimmy Tibbs, Dennie Mancini, Terry Lawless. Those three really helped me. I worked for Frank Maloney and obviously since working with Frank Warren for the last 10 years, my career route is the equivalent of an Oxford University education - but in boxing,†Powell had told me recently. There have been saddening times, too. He recalled “sitting in the hospital with Michael Watson†who suffered horrific brain injuries in his second fight against Chris Eubank in 1991. And there was a tear in his eye as he recalls the death of Bradley Stone in 1994. “I was very young at the time, and both events had a big effect on me.â€