Andre Ward Applies Pressure on Edwin Rodriguez

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

WBA super midlleweight champion Andre Ward has applied added pressure on undefeated contender Edwin Rodriguez (24-0, 16KOs) to fight him in an HBO televised main event on November 16th. Ward has apparently signed his end of the bout agreement.

"Just signed my bout agreement to fight Edwin Rodriguez Nov 16th. The ball is in his court," Ward stated on the social networks.

In a recent article on BoxingScene.com, Rodriguez voiced his displeasure with the $800,000 offer he received to face Ward (26-0, 14KOs). Rodriguez was advised by his new manager, Al Haymon, that HBO placed over $3 million dollars on the table for Ward's next fight. Rodriguez has reportedly been trying to get a bump of $200K to $1 million. Rodriguez's biggest payday was $600,000 for a first round KO of Denis Grachev in Monte Carlo earlier this year.

Based on Rodriguez's recent comments, there won't be a deal unless that bout agreement, which Ward signed, has a few extra dollars included.

"My manager Al Haymon was working with Andre Ward's team and they were unable to come to an agreement. He's the best guy in my weight class, and if I don't get him next then I'll fight him down the road, Rodriguez said to BoxingScene.com.

"I'm 100% sure that he needs me more than I need him. I have other options. I'm the highest rated for the WBC, Sakio Bika is the champion and he's an Al Haymon fighter. If the Ward fight doesn't happen, the second option would be the winner of Bika and Anthony Dirrell - if that fight happens. I'm not going to allow Andre Ward to dictate a single thing just because he could."

"$800,000 sounds like a lot of money and it is, but when you look at the big picture and HBO is putting up over $3 million, and not talking about the gate and everything else that he's going to be keeping, then it's not a lot of money and it's not fair."

• Members

I does seem like ward doesnt have alot of options.

I was suprised to see him at the weigh inns last night, i thought him and floyd didnt get along.

When it comes to these NATIONAL/RACIAL BATTLES, they always get along, they side with their own usually.

• Members

Seems the world has forgotten about Ward and the queue to fight him has shrunk considerably :box

Guy has priced himself out of the competition, thats why.:coffee He's a conceited twat, to use your best English expression. :D

priced himself out? hardly more like cleaned out, Ward is set money from HBO , its chickens like Rodriquez that he cant get a fight at 168. Ward needs to man up and go to 175 that's the issue

Rodriquez offer is 800K  now , holy fuk. Ward needs to man up and move up he's beaten everyone that matters at 168 set his sights for 175