Hatton: I'll be sparring all my lads now

Mofo2

Ricky Hatton has helped his charge Ryan Burnett (2-0) improve his training by getting in the ring and sparring him himself. 'The Hitman' swapped his sparring pads and laced up some gloves on Friday morning to do several rounds with the Belfast prospect in order to sharpen him up for his appearance on the undercard of Carl Frampton's clash with Jeremy Parodi on October 19.

Hatton says it's something he'll be doing with all his boxers from now on.

"When I hit them on the chin it hits home and I can't teach them that kind of lesson with the pads", said the Hitman.

"Because of my retirement I'll never be a slim Jim, but it was good to get in there and do a few rounds. What better way of training the lads is there than sparring? By getting in the ring I can see if they're dropping their left hand or making any other mistakes their opponents can take advantage of.

"There's some great trainers out there, but I can't think of one who'd be willing to do some sparring with their lads. I'll be doing it with all my mine from now on.

"Ryan is very quick, but he's still a novice. He's knocked his first two opponents out, but he's still got to learn how to in-fight. This was a good way of showing him a few things and he very well."

Despite his enjoyment of sparring again, 'The Hitman' was quick to rule out another comeback.