RJJ serious about fighting Anderson Silva

Mofo2

RETIREMENT seems far from the mind of Roy Jones Jnr. He in fact wants to take a fight with Bobby Gunn as a tune up for mixed martial artist, Anderson Silva, one of the stars of the UFC. “He said that’s his lifelong dream. We’ve got to make that happen,†Jones told Boxing News about Silva. “He’s a great striker and great defender.â€

IF James Toney’s ill-starred venture into the UFC against Randy Couture is too fresh in the memory at least this would be boxing. “If [silva] beats [Chris] Weidman, then we’ll do a boxing match which is what he wants to do. The Gunn fight would give me a tune up so I’m ready for the fight in case he beats Weidman. So if he beats Weidman I’ve got to be ready for it because he’s going to be coming for me and I want to be ready when he comes for me. I want to give him what he wants,†said Jones.

On more immediate concerns, Jones is an articulate speaker on boxing matters and the thought of training fighters appeals to him. “To me the sport of boxing in this country has dwindled because we’re not teaching offence and defence. Like today it really bothered me that Lomachenko said he went to the Wild Card gym and they asked him what the difference was with his gym. The European fighters, he said, are technicians. They’re more technical than we are. That never was the case,†said Jones.

And Roy’s prediction for the Juan Manuel Marquez-Tim Bradley fight tomorrow (October 12): “I think it’s a good fight. I think Bradley may outwork him. Marquez definitely has a puncher’s chance. He’s a good boxer so we’ll see.â€

• Members

Ffs! How long has this been a topic now? It'll never happen, Van Damme will sooner go thru with his fight against that Thai guy than will Roy with this one.

Ffs! How long has this been a topic now? It'll never happen, Van Damme will sooner go thru with his fight against that Thai guy than will Roy with this one.

I dunno Roy is clearly up for it!