I'm Willing To Give Donaire Another Beating

GRIM

By Elisinio Castillo

WBA/WBO super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (12-0, 8KOs) is open to the idea of having a rematch with Nonito Donaire, but not at the featherweight limit of 126-pounds. Rigondeaux would take the fight if Donaire agreed to catch-weight of 123-pounds, and a weigh-in on the morning of the fight where Donaire would be unable to weigh more than 10-pounds over the weight (133-pounds). If Donaire win a world title at 126-pounds, that might tempt Rigondeaux to move up for another title. 

Rigondeaux beat Donaire by a twelve round decision back in April. Donaire recently returned to knock Vic Darchinyan out in their rematch, but Donaire took some punishment in the fight and he was behind on the scorecards at the time of the knockout. After the fight was over, Donaire demanded a rematch with Rigondeaux, who returns this coming Saturday night at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, where he faces former champion Joseph Agbeko.

“Donaire thought I was the easiest fighter out there,” Rigondeaux said of their first bout. “Now he’s out there clamoring for a rematch. If he is willing to come down to 123 pounds and not weigh more than 10 pounds the next day, I would be willing to give him another beating. I am waiting for him to win another belt so I could take that one from him as well,” the boxer told the Miami Herald.