Murray not looking beyond Sergey Khomitsky

Mofo2

Martin Murray has big plans for 2014 but knows he must first get past Belarusian Sergey Khomitsky at the ExCeL Arena on Saturday night. Murray rematches a man he beat in 2009 as part of a stacked 16-fight card but will have to be wary of the underdog and former sparring partner. If he is successful an exciting New Year beckons for Murray, who has been linked with a blockbuster fight against WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin.

"I beat Khomitsky back in 2009 and I had him over for sparring in the build-up to my fight with Felix Sturm," he said. "He's had a lot of notice for this fight so we know he's ready. "He's no walk-over, he's game and he's going to come here to look for the win. The fans will see two people in there who want to win so it should be an interesting fight. "From sparring I know he can punch and although a few people aren't giving him a chance, sometimes that can motivate you more to do well. But I'm looking forward to getting back out there and fighting in London is fun. I haven't fought down there for a while so I'm looking forward to putting on a good show. As long as I get through this and get through it well, we've got some good plans for the spring. "I've got big plans for next year. I want to stay in the mix with the elite fighters and fight for world titles and that's what I intend to do in 2014. "I'd definitely be up for a fight with Golovkin. I want that fight but when it comes round I want to be as big as it can be to generate the most money. If the money is right the fights are there. Golovkin is definitely someone I'm looking at as a future opponent. "I think I can beat anyone on my day, including Golovkin, I truly believe that. He is bound to say he can't be beaten because of the way he dealt with Matthew Macklin and there's a lot of hype around him and rightly so. But I think that he looked better than he really is against Macklin."