Rendall Munroe confident he can become world champion

Mofo2

Rendall Munroe has spoken of his confidence of winning a world title in the not too distant future.

Munroe will face Lee Selby on Saturday in Cardiff for the vacant European featherweight crown but has briefly looked past this weekend's upcoming fight to championship glory.

"I don't think I ever stopped being at my best," said Munroe.

"The issue for me was my weight, that was the thing letting me down - trying to make the weight all the time. Sometimes it takes a bit of relaxation time to realise, and as my manager said to me recently, the best thing that happened to me was retiring, getting my head clear and deciding what I want to do.

"I have shown the calibre of boxer I am and what type of character I am. I have said for a long time that I should have more than just the one world title shot that I had. There are others out there who get a few chances but I had one chance and everything went pear shaped for me after that.

"This is a step toward another world title fight. After I win this fight I will be a two-weight European champion. The talk at the minute is that Selby is ready to challenge for a world title, so after I beat him does that not say that I will be ready for a shot at the world title?

"If they are saying he is good enough to fight for a world title this year, and I go out there and beat him, then that is saying that I would be good enough. I had six European fights at super bantamweight and this is number seven for me. I don't know what will happen on Saturday, if I will have a few defenses of the European or get a world title shot straight away."