Huck has his eye on CW Record

Mofo2

Marco Huck wants to equal Johnny Nelson's record for most cruiserweight title defences later this month.

The German can reach the mark set by the Briton when he takes on unbeaten Italian Mirko Larghetti in Berlin on March 29.

It Huck wins the bout at the Velodrom, where he first won the WBO belt in August 2009, he will equal Nelson's record of 13 defences, which the British star compiled over seven years before retiring in March 2006.

Huck has taken over the date because IBF cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez is still suffering from gastritis and is unable to defend his title against Pawel Kolodziej.

"I was on holiday in Dubai when I was asked about the possibility to fill in for my teammate Hernandez," said Huck, who retained his title in January against compatriot Firat Arslan. "To achieve this milestone would be very special.

"It will be a real cracker against Larghetti, who will suffer his first defeat," added Huck, who has 37 wins, with 26 knockouts, two defeats and one draw from 40 professional bouts.

Larghetti, who is 31 years old and has won 12 of his 20 fights inside the distance and holds the European title, said on Wednesday: “I will shock Huck in front of his fans and rip the title away from him."