Jean Pascal re-signs with promoter

Mofo2

Former light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal, one of boxing's most sought after promotional free agents, has re-signed with longtime promoter Yvon Michel and also brought on Jean Bedard of InterBox as his co-promoter in a deal announced on Thursday.

After Pascal won a unanimous decision against former super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute in their much-anticipated all-Montreal showdown on Jan. 18 at the Bell Center in Montreal, Pascal's promotional agreement with Michel expired. Several promoters pursued a deal with Pascal, including Lou DiBella, Top Rank and Main Events. However, Michel, who has promoted Pascal, who turned pro in 2005, for his entire career, had the right to match any offer.

Terms of Pascal's new deal were not disclosed other than it being announced as a multi-fight agreement.

"I have many new challenges ahead of me, but like I've done many times before, I plan on making history both inside and outside of the ring," said Pascal, who plans to be more involved in the business side of things with his Jean Pascal Promotions working with Michel and Bedard. "I will be taking on the best challenges and give the fans their monies worth like I always do, but this time I will be doing so as a promoter and a boxer.

"This opportunity is like a dream come true for me. I'm very excited about working with and learning from Groupe Yvon Michel and InterBox to make our events something the fans will never forget."

Michel and InterBox have long been the top promoters in Quebec and Pascal (29-2-1, 17 KOs), 31, is one of the biggest draws there.