Tyson Fury: I'll save the heavyweight division

Mofo2

Tyson Fury believes that he is the man to knock heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko off of his perch and bring some excitement back to the division. The unbeaten 25-year-old was acting as a pundit for Eurosport while Klitschko eased through his 16th title defence in Germany against the Australian challenger Alex Leapai. Fury didn't hold back with his comments and admitted that he was bored watching the bout, while also stating that it is fights like this that is giving heavyweight boxing a bad name.

He said: "One thing that aggravates me is when people say that the heavyweight division is terrible.

"This is my division and it's the glory division of all sports. To be heavyweight champion of the world is something little kids aspire to be. 

"When I was growing up all I wanted to be was the heavyweight champion of the world because of guys like Mike Tyson, Lennx Lewis and Evander Holyfield.

"Kids today aren't going to want to be like Wladimir Klitschko. The guy is boring, people want to be action heroes or a movie star. They don't want to be some boring old guy who speaks 15 different languages. That's where I come in. I really do believe I'm the saviour of the heavyweight division. I'm not just saying that because I want a fight with Klitschko, I deep down believe it."

"Every time I enter the ring there's excitement, whether I get put down or someone gets knocked-out."

Fury genuinely believes that he would get the better of the six-foot-six WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO belt holder by taking the fight to him and giving him no time to rest. Which, as I'm sure many would argue, is easier said than done. Klitschko has immense power and is in supreme condition for a 38-year-old, but Fury remains adamant he will be able to expose his hidden weaknesses.

He said: "I'd put pressure on him from round one and see how he handles it. I believe that Klitschko, if he's made to work for four or five rounds at a pace that he's not used to, would be gassed out. The guy's 38 and although he looks in great shape it doesn't mean he is in great shape on the inside. Let's be realistic. He hasn't faced anyone who's my size ever, my weight, with my boxing ability and movement. He's faced guys that are smaller than him or big and stiff. There's never been somebody like me before and I don't think there ever will be again."