Nonito Donaire Eyes Walters Clash: I Can Punch Too!

blackrican23

Five division world champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash†Donaire is set to train for at least three months  for his next fight in which he is eyeing either a rematch with Simpiwe Vetyeka from whom he won the WBA featherweight super champion’s title or undefeated WBA regular title holder Nicholas Walters of Jamaica.

In an exclusive interview with Viva Sports and the Manila Standard, Donaire agreed with the observation of former two-division world champion Gerry Penalosa that he was short on training for his last three fights which is an observation Nonito agreed with.

When informed about Penalosa’s comment that while he is a tremendous, natural-born talent with speed, power and movement he should train longer for a fight, Donaire said “I think so. That’s what we are doing right now. This time I trained almost  two months but  when I get back I’m actually going to train right away and give myself at least three months to train. “

Donaire admitted “the talent is there but it cannot be utilized unless you work hard. “
He revealed that his father/trainer “Dodong†Donaire said they need “extended time and also need to get more and better sparring so my body is ready for a longer fight.â€

Donaire conceded that contrary to Penalosa’s feeling that he was 80 percent for the Vetyeka fight he was “only about 60%. We did have injuries going into the fight that’s why we were always icing throughout the fight.â€

He said that while he and his dad “worked on a lot of technique,  we didn’t have enough sparring†even though he admitted that he came in at the usual 60 percent but that he was “ in better shape than the last Vic Darchinyan fight. Donaire vowed “the next time we’ll be closer to 100 %. I feel that people haven’t seen my potential yet.  I want to keep going.  I want them to see what I am capable of.â€

Indicating that he was leaning towards a fight with Walters, the undefeated Jamaican who crushed Darchinyan in the recent Macau card, Donaire didn’t seem bothered by Walter’s devastating punching power pointing out “I too can punch.â€

Donaire told us that he may consider moving up to junior lightweight “if there is a good fight.†He said “I’ll go up right away but if they want o keep me down at 126  for a fight or two I’ll stay at 126†even as he noted that he was getting bigger every time, the more I stayed in then gym.â€

He admitted that “all this time I never really stayed inside the gym. When I wasn’t fighting or had no schedule I never stepped in the gym, but this time when I was in the gym I realized I was getting bigger created more muscle.â€

Donaire revealed that moving up to 130, 135, 140 is going to be easy but the fights at those weights will not be easy fights. Hopefully my goal is to be at 140 (junior welterweight.)

http://www.fighthype.com/news/external/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boxingscene.com%2Fnonito-donaire-eyes-walters-clash-i-punch-too--78784