Lomachenko defeats Russell for WBO title

blackrican23

Two-time Olympic gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko (2-1, 1 KO) scored a twelve round majority decision over previously undefeated Gary Russell Jr. (24-1, 14 KOs) to win the vacant WBO featherweight world championship. Lomachenko outworked Russell in rounds one and two, while Russell was busier in rounds three and four. Lomachenko had a big round five. After that Russell was able to keep Lomachenko at bay at times with non-stop punching, but the Ukrainian came on strong down the stretch. Scores were 114-114 (Lisa Giampa), 116-112 (Pat Russell), 116-112 (Max DeLuca). Lomachenko ties the record of Thailand’s Saensak Muangsurin in winning a world title in his third pro fight.

“I am very happy and excited to be a world champion,†stated Lomachenko. “The plan built by our team was great, I was trying to land the punches and I did. I landed punches very well. I started from the body and went to the head.â€

Russell commented after his first pro defeat. “It was a fair decision. It’s disappointing to lose, but we’re warriors and we will go back to the drawing board. He had real good lateral movement, we tried to close the distance with the jab but he was moving well. I tip my hat to him.â€

Russell continued, “My past opponents have no bearing on this fight. I need to execute better going forward. I don’t think he’s better than me, we knew he was going to use the lateral movement. Honestly we didn’t execute the game plan. We wanted to close the distance between the double and triple jabs but I couldn’t get to him as easily as I wanted to. I would definitely fight him again, anytime, any place.â€

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/results-from-carson-california-2-250305

Russell looked more the amateur and has the power of a gnat. lomachenko moves well and did good work to the body , not overly impressed with either guy but time will tell

• WBF OG

It was a farce that Lomo got the shot in the first place....boxing corruption strikes again!!

looked to me like it was a farce that russell jr got a title shot

looked to me like it was a farce that russell jr got a title shot

He fought for his chance at least....Lomo had 2 previous fights and had lost one of them its crazy!!