Bey tops Vazquez in snoozer

blackrican23

In a spectacle that boxing historians may one day conclude was the worst boxing match ever, Mickey Bey dethroned IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez by twelve-round split decision, 115-113, 113-115, 119-109 on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Bey deserved the decision, insomuch as there had to be a winner, but the fight was devoid of any sustained action, drama, or eventually interest among the fans in attendance.

The fight started off as a jabbing contest and unfortunately did not improve from there. To his credit, Bey attempted to initiate most of the action, following Vazquez around the ring and landing occasional lead left hands in between sporadic jabs. Vazquez on the other hand went to great lengths to avoid any sustained combat, either by grabbing immediately after throwing a punch or often simply refusing to stand close enough to Bey for either fighter to engage. Ultimately the judges appeared to favor Bey’s cleaner punching, on those occasions punches were thrown, and his willingness to try and make the fight despite Vazquez’s tactics, with two of the judges awarding Bey all of the final five rounds.

“I’m #1 in the lightweight division,†Bey said. “He was #1 and now it’s me. I’m not surprised that I won, I’m just really happy. He was head-butting and holding the entire time. I won every round and I beat him with one hand (hurt his right). I told my team I wasn’t going to slip and now I’m #1 in the division.â€

http://cdn.fightnews.com/Boxing/bey-beats-vazquez-in-snoozer-261000