Paulie will likely retire

Mofo2

Malignaggi has been widely applauded for his efforts there and envisions a future behind the mic in a job that will allow him to maintain close ties with the sport that has consumed him for the last two decades.

“I’ve got a really good job commentating and watching great fighters fight ringside. I hope to sit around ringside for a long time.â€

Malignaggi conceded Garcia slowly ground down his resistance, a feat few former foes have been able to accomplish. In the midst of the action he was focusing on survival, to make it to the next big fight, until reality slowly made itself obvious.

“I felt like if I couldn’t put up a great performance tonight then it would be my last. I was trying to hang tough as much as I could. I remember when I was taking big shots I just kept thinking: ‘Don’t give in. This is your last night if you give in. Don’t show that you’re going to give in. If you can show that you’re still hungry for it, then you’ll convince yourself that this isn’t the end.’ I wanted to keep showing that I want it. Little by little he broke me down, and I have no problem with the stoppage.â€