Tony Thompson: If I fought the guys Ortiz fought, I’d be undefeated too

Mofo2

“I’m happy to be back on HBO fighting for another world title,” said 44-year-old heavyweight Tony “The Tiger” Thompson (40-6, 27 KOs), who challenges WBA interim heavyweight champion Luis “The Real King Kong” Ortiz (24-0, 21 KOs) on March 5th at the DC Armory, in Washington D.C. Despite his age, Thompson has beaten some notable names the last few years, including Olympians David Price and Odlanier Solis twice.

“If you look at my competition and his [Ortiz], it’s not even close. This isn’t the amateurs. I’m going to use my experience as a professional to take him places he’s never been. Odlanier Solis was a great Cuban amateur but he was also an Olympic Gold Medalist, and I beat him twice. Ortiz thinks he has it tough. I’ve been avoided for my entire career. Just about all my fights have been on short notice and in foreign countries. If I fought the guys Ortiz fought, I’d be undefeated too. If Ortiz is King Kong, I’m Godzilla; Godzilla coming to whoop some ass!”

He is still around the top 10 so tbf it is probably a legitimate shot at an interim; his only problem will be if the fight goes beyond 5 rounds because he is likely to be running on empty by then!!