Zab Judah suspended

GRIM

Tisk tisk :wtf

Zab Judah suspended; card in Vegas canceled

Former world champion Zab Judah and promoter Roy Englebrecht were suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Friday -- and the card Judah was scheduled to headline on Saturday night in Las Vegas was canceled -- because NSAC executive director Bob Bennett said they "provided the commission with false licensing documents."

Judah (42-9, 29 KOs), 37, a former three-time junior welterweight titleholder and the former undisputed welterweight world champion, was scheduled to face Josh Torres (15-4-2, 7 KOs) in a 10-round junior welterweight fight in the main event of the D Las Vegas' "Knockout Night at the D" series at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center.

The card was supposed to be the first of eight in the series, which was scheduled to be televised on CBS Sports Network. Judah was going to be fighting for the first time since a decision loss to former welterweight and junior welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi in December 2013.

"According to Nevada statute and upon my recommendation and that of [commission member] Anthony Marnell III we have temporarily suspended Zab Judah and Roy Englebrecht and the reason for that is because they provided the commission with false licensing documents," Bennett told ESPN.com. "They will be called before the commission on March 23. At that point in time we will provide a complaint with the specifics of their suspensions.

"It's really unfortunate. I think it's unprecedented. We didn't want to cancel this card but based on there only being one promoter and no co-promoter, and due to the egregious actions of the promoter and the boxer, and in keeping with the Nevada State Athletic Commission's integrity and integrity of the sport we needed to suspend the promoter and the boxer. It's horrible because it affects the fans, the D Hotel, my staff and the other 11 boxers who have trained for their fights. It's extremely unfortunate."

Bennett declined to go into detail about what Judah, who lives in Las Vegas, and California-based promoter Englebrecht are specifically accused of doing but said they lied on documents that every fighter and promoter must fill out for the commission in order to get a license.

"Both of them provided false information," Bennett said. "That's as much information as I can give you because of pending litigation."