Ricky Burns returns to 140 pounds for Michele Di Rocco

Mofo2

Former two-weight world titleholder Ricky Burns will face Italy’s Michele Di Rocco in a 12-round junior welterweight bout on May 28 in Glasgow, Scotland.

Burns, who held WBO titles at 130 and 135 pounds, has already cameoed twice at junior welterweight, outpointing Alexander Lepelley before putting forth a spirited display against Omar Figueroa Jr in a decision loss last May.

“It’s been a frustrating few years but I showed against Figueroa last summer that I can still mix it with the very best at world level,” said Burns in a press release issued by Matchroom Boxing. “Di Rocco is a tough guy and he will bring the best out of me. It’s a fight I’m so confident I will win and I’ll give my fans a great show.

“There are massive fights for me at lightweight and junior welterweight. I’ve spoken to my trainer Tony Sims and we feel I can compete competitively at either weight class and this fight will lead on to great things for me.”

Promoter Eddie Hearn said, “It will be the first night of boxing ever at the magnificent SSE Hydro (arena) and I know the fans will raise the roof. Di Rocco is unbeaten for nearly nine years.”

12 hours ago, blackrican23 said:

where's RD to back his boy

Never known anyone disppear off the face of the internet to quite the same levels as he did....I reckon he had a drink problem that kid! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoshB said:

Italians are bottom of the barrel boxers. I'm sure this Rocco guy sucks ass.

Burns is shot mate, he can only be continuing to fight for the money sake!!  

1 hour ago, Mofo2 said:

Never known anyone disppear off the face of the internet to quite the same levels as he did....I reckon he had a drink problem that kid! 

Didnt his wife have some terminal illness as well? I never understood how it was a burden to find the time to stop by the site but he still surfed the net . With so many problems hope he is well 

calzaghe is eyetalian

marciano , la motta , Graziano , Gatti, mancini there has been a few eyetalians better then bottom of the barrel 

8 hours ago, blackrican23 said:

Didnt his wife have some terminal illness as well? I never understood how it was a burden to find the time to stop by the site but he still surfed the net . With so many problems hope he is well 

He was losing his job I thought tbh so dunno about his wife, but he was shady over what he did....it was almost as though he was part ofthe x files team :D