Valuev Explains Why The Klitschko Fight Never Happened

Mofo2

Former two-time WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev explained why he rejected a potential fight with Vitali Klitschko back in 2010.

The seven-foot 'Russian Giant' as he was called, last fought in 2009 when he lost a close twelve round majority decision to David Haye in Germany. He walked away from boxing with a record of 50-2, 34KOs.

The fight with Klitschko would have been a major draw in Eastern Europe with several stadiums interested in the Russia vs. Ukraine showdown.

nikolai valuev (2)

Valuev claims the offer he was presented with was unsatisfactory. He says the Vitali offered him a million dollars to take the fight. Valuev felt the bout was worth a lot more.

Vitali was very eager for that fight and actually traveled to Russia to have a face to face discussion with Valuev.

But another item that bothered Valuev were the contract terms.

He claims the contract would have locked him down in a never ending circle. If he would have beaten Vitali, he claims the contract would have called for him to face Vitali in an immediate rematch, and if he would have beaten Vitali again - then he would have been contracted to face younger brother Wladimir Klitschko - and then if Valuev won he would have had to face Wladimir in a rematch. He says the contractual terms would have kept him fighting the Klitschko brothers until he lost.

"At that point I had just lost the title and then these talks took place. They were informal. We had a face to face talk, it was in Saint Petersburg," Valuev said.

"In the event of my victory I had to fight Vitali again and I was alright with that - but if I won again then I still had to fight with his brother, and then again with his brother if I would have beaten his brother. I'd have to fight with the entire family. I had to fight until I eventually lost."

How many times have these fuckers pulled this shit!