Victor Ortiz Wants Mayweather Rematch: I'll Do It For Free

GRIM

By Jake Donovan

It’s been nearly a year since Victor Ortiz last stepped foot in the ring. However, his focus remains even deeper into the past.

The former welterweight titlist is rumored to return to the ring in September, which should allow enough healing time for the broken jaw suffered in his injury TKO loss to Josesito Lopez last June. He remains in the spotlight as a current contestant on Season 16 of Dancing with the Stars, after which he plans to resume training for his next fight.

Whom he next faces could depend entirely on what takes place a month from now.

“I called everyone from 147 to 154 out. There is one bout in particular I’d like to put out there,” Ortiz stated during a recent appearance on ESPN’s Sportsnation.

The lead-in to the fight he refers led to a past loss that continues to haunt him.

“Floyd Mayweather, he’s a great fighter and all that, no doubt. I was never content with the way things turned out,” Ortiz revealed, referring to his 4th round knockout loss to Mayweather in Sept. ’11.

Spirited debate came of the bout, in which Ortiz was docked a point for an intentional headbutt late in the 4th round. The two fighters were summoned to center ring, where they were reminded of the rules by referee Joe Cortez.

The third man then motioned his arms for the bout to resume, but then turned his back on the fighters to confirm with the timekeeper that everyone was back on the clock. Ortiz focused his attention on Cortez instead of Mayweather, who landed with a left hook and right hand on his defenseless opponent to score the knockout.

Ortiz and his camp protested the loss afterward, insisting he was the victim of a sucker punch. The final result stood, marking the first of consecutive stoppage losses for the California-based southpaw. 

“I will never agree with that loss of mine,” Ortiz admits. “I think if we went 12 rounds it would have been a different outcome. But I bring up Floyd because he’s getting ready to take on Robert ‘The Ghost’ Guerrero.”

The welterweight bout between Mayweather and Guerrero takes place on May 4 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the same venue that played host to Ortiz’ lost to the unbeaten pound-for-pound king.

“I’d like to take on the winner of that fight,” Ortiz continued but eventually revealing his real preference.

“Unfinished business,” Ortiz commented, before staring into the camera to call out Mayweather. “I want a remach, Floyd. It would be for free too, I don’t even need (the money).”

• 1 year later...