Khan-a night to remember

Mofo2

Amir Khan is determined to put on a show for his fans tonight in a rare appearance on home soil.

The 25-year-old takes on Mexican Julio Diaz in a non-title bout in Sheffield in what will be his first fight in the UK for two years. But Khan expects to put himself back in the frame for world-title fights with a victory and, in all likelihood, that would mean returning to the United States to fulfil his ambitions.

The Bolton fighter said: "I want my fans to be there and it is going to be a night they are not going to forget because it could be one of the last times I fight in the UK. Straight after this fight we will back into world-title fights and most of them are in America. We are going to try to get them to the UK, but it could be one of the last times I fight in the UK."

He added: "Fighters aren't normally prepared to do what I do - go to their countries - America - and fight them in their home states."

The Diaz fight has been set at a "catch weight" of 143 pounds - a mark between super lightweight and welterweight. It will be the heaviest Khan has fought at while California-based Diaz, himself a former world lightweight champion, is coming down slightly after recent welterweight fights.