Furys team backtrack on Haye fight

Mofo2

It seems promoter Mick Hennessy has wrapped a protective arm around the shoulder of heavyweight breadwinner Tyson Fury, as talk of a fight between his man and David Haye picks up pace.

The architect behind Fury's unbeaten 21-fight record, Hennessy now admits that landing a world title shot via the mandatory route is preferable to engaging in a domestic blockbuster.

"I've got 30 days to negotiate with (Kubrat) Pulev's people - it's a final eliminator for the mandatory shot at Wladimir Klitschko,†he told The Sun.

"Tyson's earned the right now to be in mega-fights. So whichever way we go, and right now we're going down the Pulev route, we believe he's destined to be world champion."

Pulev is a 31-year-old Bulgarian with a pristine 17-fight record. Nicknamed 'The Cobra', he has scored a number of impressive wins in defence of his European title, yet remains relatively unknown to all but the most hardened boxing fans.

And maybe that's why Fury has made a point of calling out Haye and expressing a desire to be involved in big domestic showdowns.

“The best fights are domestic rivals and the whole country would be up for it,†said Fury. “If David Haye fights me, he won't fight again. I'll destroy him. I am too young, too fresh and I will knock him out.â€