Thurman edges Porter, retains WBA welterweight title in one to remember

blackrican23

For the last year Shawn Porter and Keith Thurman have tried to get it on in the ring. Going back to last summer the two star welterweights prepared for their showdown. It was supposed to take place at the end of 2015, then the start of 2016. A scheduled March date came and went when Thurman was hurt in a car accident. And then, finally, they fought on Saturday night before 12,718 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

It was worth the wait.

In a fight of the year candidate Thurman (27-0, 22 KO’s) retained his WBA title with a close unanimous decision win on three identical scores of 115-113. Both men gave an incredible effort and ended the fight bruised, bleeding and exhausted. Essentially the bout was a tale of two styles: Porter’s relentless but often ineffective aggression versus Thurman’s selective but powerful counterpunches. Thurman had a 203-177 edge in power punches landed but Porter was the busier fighter and averaged 55 thrown per round to 44 for Thurman. Porter had the advantage in jabs. Overall, Thurman connected with 43.6% of his shots; Porter landed 35.6%.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/thurman-edges-porter-retains-wba-welterweight-title-2-343838

Fight was ok alot of missed shots to call it classic but reading how everybody loved it going overboard neither this fight nor salido vargas in my top 5

• WBF OG

i thought porter did too much holding on the ropes....if he let his hands fly, he'd win but decided to hold with his left arm instead.

• WBF OG

they did have some very good exchanges, though.  surprised the hell out of me.  porter showed a nice beard, too.  he was hit flush several times.

• WBF OG
3 hours ago, blackrican23 said:

Fight was ok alot of missed shots to call it classic but reading how everybody loved it going overboard neither this fight nor salido vargas in my top 5

top 5 of this year?  

30 minutes ago, mexfighter said:

can't think of any fights that stand out.

Cause there hasnt been , the words classic and war  get used to easy in the social media generation . Twitter was gaga about salido vargas like it was chacon limon IV and this weekend was good fight but not classic war as i read described 

• WBF OG

agREED.  

good scrap but memorable?  hardly.

limon/chacon 4, carbajal/chiquita 1, corrales/castillo 1....those are memorable fights.

99.99% of the people don't agree with me on this, but regarding hearns/hagler,...aside from the first minute, the fight was ok.  people make it out to seem as if it was great.   the commentator screaming "now hagler's hurt, hagler's hurt" made it seem better since he was never hurt.

• WBF OG

Bro, did you see Don Frye fight the big blond jap, bro?

Bro, that was a badass fight, bro!  I went out and bought an Affliction T-shirt after that fight, bro!

• WBF OG
17 hours ago, JoshB said:

UFC has been consistently putting out more memorable fights for awhile. The matchups are way more competitive & UFC fighters finish fights more frequently than boxers.

hilarious.  

what is the best ever UFC fight?

• WBF OG
19 minutes ago, mexfighter said:

Bro, did you see Don Frye fight the big blond jap, bro?

Bro, that was a badass fight, bro!  I went out and bought an Affliction T-shirt after that fight, bro!

that is probably the best MMA fight Ive seen

• WBF OG

its the only one i've seen, and thats because these mmgaysters always mentioned it.

• WBF OG
17 minutes ago, mexfighter said:

its the only one i've seen, and thats because these mmgaysters always mentioned it.

it has more pure skill than most mma fights

• WBF OG

oh, you mean because they're throwing punches for a few seconds instead of spooning?

19 hours ago, JoshB said:

UFC has been consistently putting out more memorable fights for awhile. The matchups are way more competitive & UFC fighters finish fights more frequently than boxers.

4 minutes ago, JoshB said:

Boxing has been around like a hundred years, mma only been around since the 90s.

dont talk in circles list em 

3 minutes ago, JoshB said:

I'm not a fucking fight encyclopedia, don't know what's considered the best. But Boxing has been around way longer so it's kind of stupid to compare all time great fights of the two. It's all about the here & now & at the moment ufc is putting out way more competitive matchups.

aka I am full of shit and please dont asked me to substantiate my bull shit ugly-man-laugh-smiley-emoticon.gif

Shit you trying to deflect as usual name a fight as good as saildo vargas or even thurman porter lmfao they was just the other day haha and those fights by boxing standards arent great

wait wait i got it rousey vs holm  lmfao