AMIR KHAN OUT FOR REMAINDER OF THE YEAR WITH HAND INJURY

Mofo2

Amir Khan will have to wait until 2017 to start his campaign to erase the image of a brutal sixth round knockout at the hands of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. Between his defeat in May and today's announcement, Khan has undergone hand surgery forcing him out of action.

WBC president Maricio Sulaiman told Sky Sports, "Unfortunately, Amir Khan has an injury in his hand that required surgery so he'll be out for the rest of the year." 

In August, the former 140-pound champ revealed to the UK's Daily Mail that he'd been dealing with the injury for the better part of 13 years- one that limited him to 30-40% of his punching power. “I kept the news of my hand quiet from everyone,” Khan said. “I had to because I didn’t want any of my opponents to know about it." 

Khan (31-4-KO19) had been calling for a rematch against Danny Garcia to be scheduled for later this fall. Perhaps he was counting on the presence of his missing power to factor against Garcia. Khan, dogged for his 'glass jaw', was the favorite and up two rounds in their 2012 fight before Garcia earned a knockout in the fourth to unify the WBC and WBA super-lightweight titles. 

Garcia's future is more of a wait and see as recent negotiations with Andre Berto have stalled. Even if he schedules another fight before Khan is ready, the Brittish fighter is the mandatory WBC welterweight challenger.