Tony Bellew airs views on WBC mandatory Mairis Briedis

Mofo2

Bellew’s win over BJ Flores came with a stipulation from the World Boxing Council stating ‘Bomber’ would put his WBC cruiserweight belt on the line against Latvian dangerman Mairis Briedis in his next outing.

The 33 year-old Evertonian has admitted he has half an eye on a unification, although the Briedis situation may have to be addressed beforehand should Bellew ultimately want to keep his green and gold strap.

“I’m looking at Briedis and I’m looking at Denis Lebedev v Murat Gassiev, plus the Oleksandr Usyk v Thabiso Mchunu winner as all of those fights happen in December,” Bellew exclusively told World Boxing News.

“I’ll play it by ear, but ultimately I’ll leave the business side of things with my business colleagues. They know that side of the game better than me so I’ll place my next move firmly in their hands.

“With Briedis, although there’s probably not a lot of money in it, the fight is a mandatory. Let’s be honest, there wasn’t much money in the BJ Flores fight but I just wanted to shut him up.

“Briedis hasn’t really said a word, maybe I wish he would.”