Kirkland: I Have a Special Ass Whooping For Canelo!

blackrican23

www.boxingscene.com

BoxingScene.com recently caught up with junior middleweight contender James Kirkland. The Texas native has been out the ring since early last year as he waits on the outcome of his lawsuit against his promoter Golden Boy Promotions. 

Kirkland is known for his power and his exciting style in the ring. He said that if his case is ruled in his favor he hopes to face one of the top fighters in his division before the year is out.

"I am one of those fighters who wants to give a good fight. I am the type of person who wants to give the fans what they want to see and that is a fight," Kirkland explained.

"I'm not running from or dodging anyone. Whether its (Austin) Trout, (Canelo) Alvarez, (Miguel) Cotto or (Floyd)  Mayweather. None of them people  I'm just waiting to see what happens and if everything goes as planned the sky is the limit."

Trout's performance in his loss to Alvarez on April 20th didn't impress Kirkland.

According to Kirkland, the way to beat Alvarez is to throw a lot of punches and make him feel your power. He didn't think that Trout had the power necessary to pull off the upset.

"A person that is going to get his respect is a person who is going to come and hit him with so many shots, with combinations, moving, knowing how to make him miss and make him pay. That's how you beat Alvarez. People look at him like he's on a high but he is really just a regular fighter," Kirkland told BoxingScene.com.

I asked Kirkland if he would be willing to move up to middleweight if he couldn't get a fight against any of the names he mentioned. He said that he might be even more powerful at 160 but insisted that he has his sights firmly set on facing Alvarez.   Kirkland was offered a fight against Canelo last September but wasn't happy with the money being offered and has been in a legal battle ever since. 

"It really doesn't matter (where I get a title shot). At 160 I can be even more comfortable but at 154 I definitely want to fight Canelo.  That is my game plan but I have a special ass whooping strictly for him. I most definitely want to make something happen as soon as possible but I need to wait till (my court date on) May 13th to see what is going to happen,"  said Kirkland.