What's Next For Rigo--Mares, Quigg, Darchinyan

blackrican23

Donaire_Rigondeaux_1304013_001a.jpg

Guillermo Rigondeaux made true believers out of people who thought that he needed to win a truly meaningful fight before it became accepted wisdom that maybe the greatest amateur of all time would also be a superior professional when he beat Nonito Donaire on April 13 in NYC. The way he won wasn't for everyone, as fans who like a little less science in their fighting grumbled that the Cuban moved and didn't engage enough for their liking. Still, the man put both feet firmly in the pound for pound top ten with the victory and respect must be paid to his talent.

So, when will we see Rigo again? Manager Gary Hyde weighed in, from Ireland.

Hyde said that he'd love to get junior feather champ Rigo in with Abner Mares, who skillfully demolished Ponce De Leon on the Mayweather undercard Saturday. Hyde said that Rigo holds a win over Mares in the Pan Am Games, and that he thinks Rigo's promoter, Caribe, would be willing to collect a nice pot which would make it worthwhile for Mares, who is promoted by Golden Boy. Hyde said that he thinks Mares made low money for beating Ponce and could do way better against Rigo. Top Rank and Caribe co-promote Rigo, so off the top of my head I can't see how that will happen, since Hyde would want Rigo to fight on HBO, which won't buy fights from Golden Boy.

"Mares made crap money last Saturday," Hyde said. "This is his only chance of making serious
money. I think there is a 60% chance something could be worked out so Mares could fight Rigo. Caribe are serious about putting money up for an opponent."

Rigo holds a WBA belt at 126. Scott Quigg from England is the No. 1 rated fighter in the WBA. Might Rigo fight Quigg? Rigo also holds the WBO strap. Since Top Rank just signed Vic Darchinyan, and Vic is ranked No. 1 by the WBO, doesn't that signal what Top Rank might like to do next with Rigo? And what about Leo Santa Cruz; he has elevated himself, he's an all action guy...but yes, he's with Golden Boy.

"Very good points, Mike," said Hyde, who thinks Rigo will fight again in September.  "I would fancy Quigg but now that Rigo is WBA super champion I presume Quigg will go after the WBA regular title.  Vic doesn't excite me.  It will be easier to make a Mares fight than a Santa Cruz fight.  At least we know Mares and his manager Frank Espinoza want the fight.  Whereas I am
unsure if Santa Cruz or Al Haymon would want to face Rigo."

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles/16607-whats-next-for-rigo-mares-quigg-darchinyan

• WBF OG

doesnt seem promising for any of those mentioned in that article. maybe quigg, though hyde makes a valid point in that he may prefer to go after the "regular" wba strap

Rigondeaux noted Abner made 350k for De Leon , he is  sure his team Top Rank will pay Mares more then that.

That's the fight for me , Rigo of course has to move to 126

I'm hoping Quigg gets a shot, that kid a very good fighter and I see him having a good chance of taking the fight!