Rigondeaux Says No Intention of Pursuing Mares at 126

blackrican23

/www.boxingscene.com

WBO/WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (12-0, 8KOs) says there is no interest in moving up in weight to pursue a fight with Abner Mares, who last Saturday stopped Daniel Ponce De Leon for the WBC featherweight title at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Rigondeaux is fresh from his twelve round unanimous decision win over Nonito Donaire.

"Absolutely not [i am not moving up]. I plan to stay at 122-pounds," Rigondeaux told George Ebro. "It's just that I'm naturally a 122-pounder. I eat and eat, but do not get fat. Thank God I do not spend my time suffering to make weight like other fighters. So I have no reason to leave the division in which I have proved my qualifications and in which I feel the most comfortable."

"Whoever is in my division, whoever has the titles, whoever wants them...let me know. I'm here. I think there are plans to make a fight in Miami, my people are talking to Top Rank to see what they can do."

www.boxingscene.com

Mares: I Would  Go Back To 122 For Rigondeaux

Newly crowned WBC featherweight champion made a recent appearance on BoxingScene Radio to talk about his stoppage victory over Daniel Ponce De Leon. Over the past few years Mares has gone on a run rarely seen in the sport as he has faced elite competition from 118 pounds to 126 pounds.

I asked Mares if he thought this would be a good time to take a tune up fight or a fight that would be perceived as easier. Mares immediately turned the conversation to his undefeated rival WBC/WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux who scored a big upset when he defeated Nonito Donaire last month.

"(A tune up?) I don't even know what that is (laughing). It is hard to say right now (who is next). It is so fresh. Right now I am taking a vacation to go back  to Mexico. Everybody says Rigo has to be next and don't be afraid of Rigo," Mares stated. 

"I'm not going nowhere. I'd love to fight Rigo. I'm willing to fight him. I don't think any boxer is afraid (of fighting anyone). I want Rigo to know I am not afraid of him or hiding from him."

Mares said that he feels stronger at 122 pounds and that he would only consider moving down in weight for a shot at the Cuban who beat him in the amateurs. 

"The only fight I would go back to 122 for is the Rigo fight. I feel so strong and worked so hard to get to this weight so I don't really want to go back down but I would for that fight," Mares told BoxingScene Radio.

With Mares being promoted by Golden Boy and Rigondeaux co-promoted by Top Rank,  the fight is highly unlikely to materialize.

You can listen to the interview in its entirety by clicking here: http://tobtr.com/s/4666825

lets go make this fight Top Rank, sure Arum can make a nice offer that he still pocket good money

• WBF OG

rigo won't go up looking for mares because he doesn't want to get socked in the lip.

he knows whats best for him, he ain't no fool.

I don't see why Rigondeaux wouldn't move up to 126 , its still Mares and only 4 lbs, a win brings him bigger paydays more marketability . I think if theres a fight to break the cold war this is it, Golden boy produced a contract showing there willingness to let Mares fight a top Rank fighter .

yeah top rank will make donaire / mares @ 126 and leave rigondeaux @122

surely rigondeaux's team can pony up more than 350K , with out senile bob , maybe they should call Fiddy