Roach fires retirement warning to Pacquiao

Mofo2

Freddie Roach has told Manny Pacquiao that defeat to Brandon Rios will result in retirement. A little over a year ago, Pacquiao was vying with Floyd Mayweather Jr for the title of best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet, but back-to-back defeats to Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez have seen him slip down the pecking order.

The image of Pacquiao face down on the canvas following a savage knockout by Marquez in December still sits prominently in the mind, but he is back in the gym preparing for his comeback fight against Rios.

The Rios clash will take place in China and the Pacquiao camp are hopeful it will propel the Filipino back towards a world title shot.

That is Roach's plan, but he has warned his charge that it is win or bust. "If he loses, I will tell him to retire," Roach told ESPN. "If you lose three in a row it's your time. He's up there in age. I've got to keep a close eye on him. It's part of my job to protect him. I will do the right thing."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/206659.html#GiyaeOV6tD2BCoF3.99

Good to see Freddie Roach has Manny's well being first & foremost.   Really  Manny didn't lose to Bradley  Everyone  even Bradley  himself knows that.   The KO by JMM was sensational.   How much that has affected many we'll see against Rios.  At the time of the KO many was controlling the fight& looking god.  So only the fight with Rios will tell.   I'll bet Freddie will keep a close eye on Manny & should things look bad  he'll pull him out of the fight

I'm thinking similar CJ, but I wonder how it will mess with Mannys head, because going into his next fight there has to be pressure like at no other time!