Gamboa-Perez on Dawson-Stevenson card

blackrican23

GAMBOAyuriorkis50CENTcurtisjacksonverbee

Colombia's Darley Perez has officially signed to face former featherweight titleholder Yuriorkis Gamboa in a battle of unbeatens on June 8 at Bell Centre in Montreal on HBO, Perez's promoter, Gary Shaw, announced on Monday.

"You have to understand that we've been waiting on an opportunity like this for Perez to make his mark. Some may feel like it is Darley's chance to pull off the shocking upset, but I see it as more of a coming out party," said Shaw, who handles Perez with Thompson Boxing Promotions.

"We've had him caged in waiting for the chance to unleash the beast and we could have pulled the trigger a couple fights back, and then the world would be aware of his chances in this fight. But because we knew that an opportunity like this was only a matter of time, we waited, and now he will show he's been a top contender all along."

The 29-year-old Perez is 28-0 with 19 knockouts.

"I wouldn't dare take Gamboa lightly. I'll train hard for a tough fight and he'd be well-advised to do the same because I'm a top fighter," said Perez.

"I will prove to everyone that I am a world-class fighter and the rest of the world will figure out what I already know after June 8."

In his last fight in December on the undercard of Juan Manuel Marquez's sixth-round knockout of Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas, Gamboa (22-0, 16 KOs) rose from a ninth-round knockdown after scoring one each in the second and seventh to secure a unanimous decision for the WBA's interim junior lightweight belt over Michael Farenas.

The victory had Gamboa, 31, in the ring for the first time since September of 2011, when he he decisioned former titleholder Daniel Ponce de Leon.

"I keep looking to prove my worth, and will now do so in trying to win a fourth world title in a third weight class, the lightweight division," said Gamboa. "I like challenging myself. On June 8, I plan on showing my best yet again."

Gamboa's promoter is rapper-turned-promoter Curtis Jackson, aka 50 Cent.

"The fight on June 8 between Yuriorkis Gamboa and Darley Perez is going to be very exciting," said Jackson.

"Gamboa has been training really hard, and his fighting style is aggressive, while Perez showcases a calmer demeanor in the ring, which will make for a very competitive showing."

The co-feature will match RING and WBC 175-pound champion Chad Dawson (31-2, 17 KOs) against hard-punching super middleweight contender Adonis "Superman" Stevenson (20-1, 17 KOs) in a clash of southpaws that is being co-promoted by Shaw and Groupe Yvon Michel (GYM), who handles Stevenson.

Dawson is coming off September's 10th-round stoppage loss to RING super middleweight champ Andre Ward, who floored Dawson three times.

Stevenson is coming off last month's sixth-round stoppage of Darnell Boone, with his seventh straight knockout win avenging his second-round stoppage loss to Boone in April of 2010.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/178841-lems-latest-gamboa-perez-on-dawson-stevenson-card

surely jimenez shames you , this is another "Colombian banger" * AHEM* who has fought nobody of even name recognition. Fiddy protecting the shit outta gamboa , whats the deal here ? 

Neil was busting my chops, for me being a jimenez fan.

back in like 04 I attended an open work out for Tiger Martinez and Darling was there working out, he was a little dude with a big lefthook. He was 3 time NYC GG champ, think he beat Paulie Girl twice.

I remember watching Gamboa / Jimenez in chat with Neil.......... still have Darlings autograph