Alexander retains Title

Mofo2

International Boxing Federation welterweight champion Devon Alexander posted a dominant seven-round technical knockout of over-matched Briton Lee Purdy on Saturday. Alexander's title wasn't on the line after Purdy failed to make the 147-pound weight limit on Friday. Southpaw Alexander, who improved to 25-1 with 14 knockouts, controlled the fight despite hurting his left hand in the first round.

“I hurt my hand in the first round actually,†Alexander said. “I hit him on top of the head and hurt my hand. I had to get that out of my mind. I had a fight to win.†He was still able to punish Purdy, leaving him bloody and battered before Purdy's corner stepped in over the objections of their fighter and asked the referee to stop the fight after the seventh round.

Purdy fell to 20-4-1 with 13 wins inside the distance.

The fight had been cursed with bad luck. Alexander was to have fought England's unbeaten Kell Brook, 29-0 with 19 knockouts, but a foot injury last month forced Brook to withdraw from the fight, which was earlier delayed by a Brook ankle injury in December and a February biceps injury to Alexander.