Ward relinquishes WBC Champion Emeritus Title

Mofo2

After careful thought and consideration with my family and team, I have decided to relinquish my WBC Super Middleweight World Champion Emeritus Title.  As has been recently reported, the WBC elected to strip me of my world title belt, making the upcoming bout between Sakio Bika and Marco Antonio Periban for the vacant Super Middleweight Title.  After consultation with my manager James Prince and attorney Josh Dubin, it is my belief that the WBC did not have the right to strip me of my World Title and name me Champion Emeritus.  We voiced our position to the WBC, and after several discussions, have agreed to disagree with their interpretation of the facts and rules.  In our opinion, we feel strongly that I did not violate the rules in any manner whatsoever.

When I fought Chad Dawson, there was no mandatory contender.  Subsequent to my victory, I injured my shoulder but have remained ready, willing and able todefend my title within the period specified by the WBC's rules.  Nonetheless, without what we feel was appropriate due process, the WBC elected to strip me of my World Title.  I think my track record in fighting the best opponents available speaks for itself.  I worked extremely hard and dedicated my entire career to win and defend my WBC belt.  As a matter of principle, I have chosen to stand up for what I believe is right.  I think the fans know and appreciate that I am the Super Middleweight Champion of the World, and I trust that I will continue to be recognized assuch. I am back in training again, feeling great, and excited about my return to the ring

The Super Middle Weight Champion of the World,

Andre Ward

He can't complain too much he will be out until nearer the end of the year and hasn't fought for 8 months!

Dan got that wrong then, the longest gap he has had was when he fought JMM in 2009 when he had been out for that type of time after facing Hatton in 2007...I'm sure he never kept the title though!