Froch gets revenge against Kessler, unifies IBF and WBA super middleweight belts

blackrican23

In a unification clash, IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch (31-2, 22 KOs) scored a hard fought twelve round unanimous decision over WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler (46-3, 35 KOs) on Saturday night at the O2 Arena in London. Froch seemingly wobbled Kessler in round two and had a much higher workrate to build an early lead. Kessler amped up the aggression in rounds five and six and landed some hard shots. Good back and forth exchange in round seven. More big exchanges in round eight with Froch having the edge. Froch showed little effect from Kessler’s hard shots as he relentlessly pumped his jab into Kessler’s face. Entering the championship rounds, Kessler almost certainly needed a knockout to win. He finally rocked Froch and cut him in a big eleventh round. Both fighters left it all in the ring in round twelve. In the end, scores were a bizarre 118-110, 116-112, 115-113.

After the fight Froch stated, “In the first fight I was backing up, I was letting him dictate the pace and I was letting him push me back. (This time) I was meeting him as he came. I was being aggressive with the jab and I was looking him in the eye and letting him know when he was going to come forward, I was going to meet him with punches. I was discouraging him and I was putting him on his back foot…I’d happily do it again and make it 2:1.â€

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/froch-kessler-early-results-from-london-200947

was a feisty scrap , Froch starting quickly as he said he would . Mikkel got into the fight around midway as usual

the fight played just like their careers have since the first meeting , Froch leaping up wards and Kessler slipping a notch. 116-112 Froch for me.

I think Kessler fought good enough to deserve  a re-match .

I wouldn't say Kessler decline culminated in the victory for Froch, Carl fought to a game plan and it worked for him, the success that Kessler had within the fight was when Froch stopped employing his jab and tried to rush Mikkel, if he hadnt fought strictly to instructions he could very easily have lost this fight, the main factor in defeat for Kessler was that he started off way too slowly...a reversal of the first fight!