Carl Frampton switches camp as he closes in World title encounter

Mofo2

Carl Frampton has switched camps after he agreed a four fight deal with Frank Warren on Thursday.

And Warren has claimed a major scalp in the promotional battle that has engulfed British boxing by signing Frampton from Matchroom rival Eddie Hearn.

Warren has been watched in recent months as Ricky Burns and George Groves all moved to the Matchroom camp.

But Tigers Bay fighter Frampton has now moved in the opposite direction.

‘The Jackal’ will make his debut under the Warren banner at Wembley Arena on July 20 when he defends his IBF Inter-continental super-bantamweight title.

He is expected to fight in Belfast in September before targeting a world title challenge next year.

And Frampton - who saw off Kiko Martinez at the Odyssey in his last fight - says he can’t wait to get started.

‘I’m really excited about it.I think it’s a great opportunity; BoxNation is a great channel for me to be showcased on.

“It’s up to me to keep winning, I’ve got a great team behind me who are looking after me.

“Jonathan Romero is a target for the IBF title as is Victor Terrazas, the WBC champion. I’d be happy to take on any one of those guys.

“I want to be held back a year for GuillermoRigondeaux and get more experienced but anyone else in the super-bantamweight division, I’ll tackle.

“I’ve been calling for big fights for years now and this will give me the platform to do it.

“It was great to fight under the Matchroom banner but I am doing what is best for me and my family.

“I am just really excited about the future and I can now focus on fighting in London on July 20,†he added.

And manager Barry McGuigan is confident that Frampton will move onto big things under the Warren banner.

“I’m delighted to be involved with BoxNation and Frank,†he said.

“We got a great offer from him and we’re thrilled we’re going to be in Belfast for fights two, three and four.

“This kid’s on the cusp of something really big. Carl’s in the top 10 of each of the governing bodies.