DeGale on Froch: I'm all wrong for him

Slayer

• Members

James 'Chunky' DeGale is hoping for domestic super-fights and world honours after his win over Croatia’s Stjepan Bozic at the weekend.

The 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist successfully defended his WBC Silver super-middleweight title at Glow, Bluewater, outclassing Bozic early on before his corner pulled him out at the start of the fifth round.

“I’m in boxing for the big fights,†DeGale said.

"Carl Froch is a very good fighter but everyone is making him out to be like The Terminator, who can't be beaten. But he has lost before and I think I'm all wrong for him."

Despite spending a little time on the ropes, DeGale never looked troubled by the Croatian Bozic, whose claim to fame is beating Carl Froch in the quarter-finals of the 2000 European Championships when the pair were amateurs.  

DeGale was looking to impress and despite the action being temporarily stopped in the third and fourth rounds when he landed accidental low blows on his opponent, kept up a brisk pace.

By the end of the fourth, Bozic had soaked up a lot of punishment and his corner took the decision to stop the contest.

DeGale said: "He couldn’t take it any more. It wasn’t a vintage performance, but it was nice and I'm pleased.

"I’ve boxed my last four fights with a knee injury, but my knee is perfect now."

This was DeGale’s sixth victory since his controversial points defeat to arch rival George Groves back in May 2011. A rematch with Groves, or a shot at the winner of Cameroon-born Australian Sakio Bika and Mexican Marco Antonio Periban, who contest the vacant WBC world title in June, could be possible options for Chunky.

Watch DeGale's fight with Bozic on the Channel 5 Player - click here