Macklin v Golovkin Result

Mofo2

Birmingham's Matthew Macklin failed in his latest bid to land the WBA world middleweight crown as he was knocked out in the third round by champion Gennady Golovkin in Connecticut. The 31-year-old was outclassed from the start before a brutal left hook to the body from Golovkin ended the bout. Kazakhstani Golovkin, also 31, maintained his unbeaten record with a 24th stoppage in 27 outings.

"He's definitely the best kid I've ever fought," said Macklin.

The fight was Macklin's third title contest having lost a controversial split decision to Felix Sturm in 2011 and been stopped by Sergio Martinez in March 2012. He has now lost five of his 34 fights. Macklin continued: "I had a plan to exploit his weakness which was his lack of experience - he's only been 10 rounds once - but credit to him, he didn't even let me get into any kind of rhythm at all. "He was patient, he was hard to hit clean, kept the pressure on, picked his punches well and that body shot took it out of me."

• Members

I can imagine there were a few folks who thought Macklin was gonna walk GGG down...they must be feeling pretty silly now.:coffee

• Members

I don't recall anyone who thought Mack could win!

Believe me, there were a few! GGG has been getting some hate and had his share of doubters...reckon now they're all silenced.

Believe me, there were a few! GGG has been getting some hate and had his share of doubters...reckon now they're all silenced.

Its strange anyone would discredit him, he obviously has talent and has proven that he is number1 in the division, Sergio ain't going anywhere near him!

• Members

i'd love to see ggg vs quillen

that would be a red hot fight if it some way somehow could get made

Guess so...but I don't see even Quillin beating GGG.

Chocolate does get handled but he will go out on his shield. his right hand can equalize any fight

I can agree on that!